Recipe by : Vijayalakshmi Murthy
Apparatus Required : Mixer Grinder, Peeler
Menthi Podi :
- 1 ladle Chana dal (split bengal gram)
- 3/4 ladle Udad dal (split black gram)
- 1 tsp Methi seed (fenugreek seeds)
- 1 tsp rai (mustard seeds)
- 1 tsp jeera (Cumin)
- Dried Red chillies (depending on how spicy you want it)
- Roast each ingredient separately since they are all differently sized and will take a different amount of time to roast. (Tip: Keep the red chillies to roast in the end since they are very pungent on roasting)
- Once the ingredients cool down grind them all together into a fine powder.
Menthi Podi can be stored for later use and can last for a couple of months without going bad.
Beerakai Pachidi :
- Beerakai (Turai/Ridged Gourd) – 1
- Vegetable oil – 1 tbsp
- Imli (Tamarind/Chintakai)
- Menthi Podi – 1/1.5 tbsp as per taste
- Green Chilli – as per taste
- Salt – as per taste
- Wash , dry and cut the beerakai into small pieces. There are two varieties of beerakai. You do not need to peel the soft one. If you have the ribbed kind then you just need to scrape off a little bit of the hard skin with a peeler. Take the tamarind and soak in some water.
- Take the chopped pieces and fry in the oil. Once it cooks a little bit.
- Add the tamarind pulp and green chilli to the cooked beerakai and cook with a little water and salt.
- Let it cool once cooked.
- Once cooled grind along with the menthi podi.
- The chutney is ready to eat !
Serving Suggestions :
1.Serve with freshly made steamed rice topped with some ghee and enjoy with some fried papad.